Aunt Dimity's Death (Aunt Dimity Mystery) - Nancy Atherton

Awhile ago I needed to read a book set in New Zealand so I picked up Aunt Dimity Down Under by Nancy Atherton (Book 15 in the series) which I enjoyed. It left me with a desire to find out how the whole thing started and just who the heck Lori was, as well as Aunt Dimity. So I decided to start at the beginning and read Aunt Dimity's Death to get my bearings.

Unfortunately I found that I didn't really like Lori as she's rude and childish. Oh sure she's had it rough and is doing her best just to survive but that's no reason to act like she did to Bill Willis, the lawyer who is helping her collect her inheritance. She was all talked up (so wonderful and special) and everyone was falling all over themselves to help her but I just didn't see it. To me it felt more like an ideal than reality. Of course her mother (and "godmother") think she's terrific but she didn't live up to that image. She did finally grow on me (as did Bill) but it took quite a while to get past her unnecessary attitude.

And even though the front cover claims this is one of the 100 best mysteries of all time, it wasn't really a mystery but more like a romantic ghost story with a slight mystery dumped in as an after thought. And I say slight because it was too easily solved.

I did like the fact that Lori had to jump through a few hoops to claim her inheritance. It was very Cinderella-ish but not a fairy tale per se as she really did have to work for it.

Now that I know who Lori is and why Aunt Dimity is haunting her, I will continue the series as it's cute and a quick read.