The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler I am definitely in the minority on this one. I greatly disliked it. I was born in the 60s so nothing about this book made any sense to me. I felt the dialogue was stilted and the mystery was flat and convoluted. Too many characters and I couldn't figure out whose allegiance was with which shady character. The mystery of the blackmailer was solved early on and the rest of the book seemed to be a waste of time. I found that I just didn't care what happened to Rusty (sounded like good riddance to me).

I found myself laughing or wincing at the dialogue. I wonder if they actually talked like that in the 30s. I mean really "shake your business up and pour it" some tough guy seriously said that. You've got to be kidding me. If one of those jokers said something like that to me, I would have laughed in his face. And what was up with thumbs? Everyone was either sucking them, chewing on them or just checking them out. I must have missed the memo.

I love a good mystery but this just wasn't mysterious at all. There was nothing about the story to actually draw the reader into the mystery. Heck what was the mystery? It seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle. Definitely not an author I would suffer through again.