London Fields - Martin Amis The story is punctuated by the self-conscious musings of a narrator who is both seperate from, and part of, the story. These interruptions become grating after a while and are superflous to the narrative. this book is drawn out, dull and lacking any real sense of purpose.

This book is not a whodunit but a whywriteit! It's a book inside a book. The main character, Samson Young is a failed American author who house swaps with a British author and goes to London to try once again to write a novel. In between every single chapter is a 1-4 page narrative from Sam telling how, what, where things happened in the previous chapter and how, what, where things are going to happen in the next. I found this affect to be very confusing and incredibly boring and a total waste of time as it really had nothing to do with the story itself other than make a very long book even longer. Here's a sample of a few paragraphs between two chapters.

For reasons not yet altogether clear, I seem to have adopted a jovial and lordly tone. It seems antique, corrupt: like Keith. I expect to get better at this. And soon, I must face the murderee.

It would be nice to expatiate on how good it feels, after all these years, to sit down and actually start writing fiction. But let's not get any big ideas. This is actually happening.

Now tell me what the heck does that have to do with the story he is attempting to tell? Absolutely nothing and he goes on like this ad nauseam. What kind of author has to explain every detail in an aside. Whatever happened to actual storytelling? Isn't that the damn point of the story?

Apparently this is a true story and Sam incorporates his own arrival in London and subsequent actions into the story. It made for an incredibly weird disjointed experience. Sam babbles on and on about inconsequential things and I kept thinking "get on with it already!" Believe it or not, after two hours of reading, I had only made it to page 35 (of 470).

After four hours of getting absolutely nowhere with this novel, I gave up at page 81 as I just couldn't take it any longer. After 81 pages we've only met three of the four main characters and not a one of them was a likable character. I honestly couldn't give a rats ass how the story arced or why any one of the characters did any damn thing. What a waste of a day's reading! Martin Amis is NOT an author I would read again...ever.