Everneath - Brodi Ashton I love mythology and this book incorporates two different but with similar themed stories: Orpheus & Eurydice and Hades & Persephone. It's not your typical young adult novel nor is it a cookie-cutter paranormal either. It's a wonderful weaving together of these two stories along with some new and ingenious additions to the paranormal genre and even a few surprises. For sure, supernaturals who feed on human emotion and energy isn't new but the way Ms. Ashton incorporates these elements are.

In the beginning I found the flashbacks disjointed and confusing. The story bounced back and forth between now (after the everneath) and before the Everneath. It was tough to comprehend but once it became clear, I decided it was an interesting way to provide the backstory while focusing on the here and now.

Oh sure our heroine, Nikki Beckett did some stupid jealous childish things that set events in motion but she also owns up to them and tries to do the right thing. I loved the interactions between her and Jack and even evil Cole had a few good moments. The ending shouldn't have been a surprise but it was and I can't wait to see how it continues in the second book [b:Everbound|13115995|Everbound (Everneath, #2)|Brodi Ashton|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1359138201s/13115995.jpg|18289996] though first I have to read the short story set between the first two [b:Neverfall|15726305|Neverfall (Everneath, #1.5)|Brodi Ashton|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349292198s/15726305.jpg|21403384].