Daughter of the Forest - Juliet Marillier I've read Ms. Marillier before ([b:The Dark Mirror|25296|The Dark Mirror (The Bridei Chronicles, #1)|Juliet Marillier|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1316727776s/25296.jpg|1716143],[b:Blade of Fortriu|13923|Blade of Fortriu (The Bridei Chronicles, #2)|Juliet Marillier|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312065001s/13923.jpg|861353]) which I greatly enjoyed but haven't been able to read the conclusion just yet...maybe this year. I've had Daughter of the Forest and the rest of the series on my TBR for a very long time and have been putting it off though I'm not sure why. I need it for a challenge that ends May 15th so I finally forced myself to sit down and read it. And boy oh boy did it wreck me. The trials and tribulations of poor Sorcha were just heart-breaking and I cried through most of the book which made reading it rather difficult. I kept having to put it down and go do something else to regain my composure and return to this very distressing tale.

Daughter of the Forest is a retelling of the Grimm Brothers Six Swans story where seven siblings are enchanted by the evil stepmother. The six brothers are turned into swans while the sister escapes and must perform a nearly impossible task that will harm her in itself and leave her vulnerable to any and all who travel the forest. A 12 year old girl is not supposed to be left to defend herself in Medieval times it is just too dangerous. The things she does, the evil she encounters, the torture she endures. All will tear your heart out. I read so much that most books are forgotten rather quickly and other than I enjoyed it or disliked it, I don't remember much. This book will be impossible to forget and will stay will me for a long time.

I absolutely loved her brothers. What wonderful characters and compassionate people. I feel so bad for poor Finbar and really, really want to read his story. Well I'm not going to make the same mistake and shelve this series, I am going to add [b:Son of the Shadows|13927|Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters, #2)|Juliet Marillier|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1316131224s/13927.jpg|2801045] to my May reading list and jump right back into this heartbreak-fest.