Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters I've totally read this series out of order (#18,14,17,6,10) because before I joined GRs in 2009, I didn't really understand the concept of series books. Now that I'm more aware, I decided to start this series from the beginning because I was dying to know how Amelia met Emerson. I just love their sarcastic biting relationship and wondered how it started. [b:Crocodile on the Sandbank|188230|Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1)|Elizabeth Peters|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306096774s/188230.jpg|2570338] is where that first encounter happened and like all good romances (though this series really isn't a romance) Amelia immediately disliked detested Radcliffe Emerson. It was really fun to see their courtship progress (because of course, neither realized it was a courtship) and decipher the mystery of the mummy. Though I must admit I knew who the culprit was very early on and why. Though one part of the solution was a surprise as I had forgotten all about Alberto.

I really like this series as there is little actual romance but lots of archeological digging (which I enjoy) and some really funny snappy banter between Amelia and Emerson.