Mortal Coil - Derek Landy Another winner from Derek Landy. This series is just so good though it's very violent and gruesome. This book more than the others combined! It's young adult but for the older set and I would say it's more suited to boys than girls regardless of the female lead. This book have everything: fighting, assassins, magic, zombie-like creatures, teleporting, a kick-ass heroine, an entire cast of good and bad guys (and gals) and a skeleton detective. There's over 30 characters and it does get confusing as to which side they are on especially when they start changing alliances. This is a series that MUST be read in sequential order so much is based on previous books that without the back story a reader would be totally confused.

In this installment, the Remnants (zombie-like creatures) have escaped and are terrorizing the town. They take over the bodies of everyone (even the good guys) and cause unbelievable havoc and chaos. Valkrie and Skulduggery, along with a few select friends must figure out a way to defeat the Remnants and save the town and the rest of their friends and families. A very exciting quick read. I love that Valkrie has a boyfriend, Fletcher but I don't think he's right for her (he's too into himself). I really like Caelen, the vampire and wonder where that is going. This is the first book in the series that actually romance and more than one couple came together in this one. A surprising and delightful addition. Though I guess now that Valkrie is 16 she's old enough to date. :)

My favorite scene was between Melancholie and Valkrie. They are not friends but were having a friendly chat.

"Sometimes I get the feeling that you don't like me."
"Trust your feelings."
"So we're not going to be friends."
"I'd rather gouge my own eyes out."

This is a taste of the snarky, sarcastic humor that riddles the book and makes you imagine these characters as real people.