Dark Predator - Christine Feehan Thousand year old Zacarias De La Cruz is on the verge of turning vampire and has no emotions and feels absolutely nothing for anyone, even his family and rather than force his family to hunt him down and kill him, he has decided to do the honorable thing and face the dawn. Unfortunately Marguarita Fernandez (his property manager, of a sort) is compelled to save his life. Afterward she mistakenly assumes he awoke vampire and calls in the hunters to kill him, while running for her life. Of course, he is not vampire but merely pissed off at her effrontery in disobeying his wishes. After all, how dare she disobey the great Zacarias! He doesn't realize Marguarita is his lifemate and proceeds to chase this annoying female down - she will obey him! or else...

Zacarias is more caveman than human. He's old as the hills and really has no truck with humans or heck even reality for that matter. He's been in his own little world for way too long and it is extremely difficult for him to adjust. When the other Carpathian males meet their lifemates, they instantly get color and emotions back, not so with Zacarias. And this is the reason it takes him so long to realize she actually is his lifemate. He is so far gone that even then he only has color and emotion when she is physically beside him or psychically inside him. I loved that he called her my beautiful lunatic as if it were an endearment. Marguarita is the perfect female for him. She's strong and stubborn and refuses to listen to his ridiculous demands. I loved the dialogue between them and her little digs were rather amusing. I hope that Zacarias gets to bring Marguarita to his brothers and get that celebration that the others have enjoyed. After his long service to the Carpathians, he deserves to be happy.