Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences #1) - Philippa Ballantine, Tee Morris I greatly enjoyed this romp through steampunky England. Eliza Braun our sassy, kick-ass heroine is a little over the top - not quite crazy but certainly on the edge. She abhors authority and basically just does her own thing regardless of her orders. Due to a particular screwup, she is relegated to the basement archives indefinitely. Unfortunately for Eliza, archivist Wellington Books is a rather nerdy agent who gave up the pleasures of being a field agent to work inside with case notes and his gadgets. He truly wants nothing to do with field work until Eliza stumbles onto a cold case (the one that sent her former partner insane) and drags him along for the ride, against orders of course. We have a variety of secret societies battling each other, some fantastic steampunk creations, an airship or two, lots and lots of explosions (courtesy of Eliza). This book is loaded with twists and turns that kept me on my toes and kept me glued to the pages. I will definitely be picking up [b:The Janus Affair|13085609|The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences #2)|Philippa Ballantine|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328960260s/13085609.jpg|18256337] to continue the adventure and find out who is the ultimate leader of the phoenix society.