Secret of the Mummy - Bjorn Street Though I love Egypt and read almost anything involving this subject, I had trouble with this book. Don't get me wrong I liked the story a lot but had difficulty getting used to the writing style. It wasn't until I was almost three quarters of the way done that I found out it was originally written as a screen play and it shows. As a matter of fact, I probably should have figured that out on my own, except that I don't read screen plays so I had no frame of reference.

The story segues from one scene to another with a weird transition sentence "cut to (location) where (something) is happening" or "the scene goes out of focus and we return to (location)". There is really nothing wrong with this except that it rips you from the flow of the story and dumps you into another time period which takes a moment of adjustment. Also while you are in Ancient Egypt, there are references to 20th century things like Star Trek and Close Encounters of the Third Kind which again jerks you out of the moment.

Having said that, I also must say that the story was very interesting (well at least the Ancient Egypt part) and obviously a lot of research was done. I thought BS did a great job with characterization of the Ancient Egyptians but all of the Egyptologists were two dimensional and didn't really have any personality. This might be good in a screen play but in a book it just reads weird and flat.

I bet as a movie it would have been wonderful because you wouldn't have noticed the strange segues or the lack of personality of the Egyptologists since the Ancient Egyptians would have taken center stage, so to speak.